Tuesday, August 5, 2008

GOING BACK HOME


Today I am leaving to volunteer teaching poor and destitute children in Cambodia. I believe that every life has equal value-to get an education for the betterment of self and others through knowledge. For me, it will be an amazing privilege to give back. I feel exhilarating, intimidating, sometimes discouraging, but always challenging especially with the current situation in my country. Goals come with sacrifice, struggle, and suffering

 

All of us are aware of the awful inequities in the developing countries such as Cambodia~ the appalling disparities of health, and wealth, and opportunity that condemn people to lives in despair. Personally, I know that the millions of the young generation have been cheated of educational opportunities here in my country. During all the past year and after my graduation, I have been reflecting as an educator on how to improve the quality of education in poor countries such as Cambodia. I often ask myself: how can I change things for the people in Cambodia who often live on less than $2 a day? But I also know our people had nothing, lived in abject poverty, but still want a school, a caring and uncorrupted teacher in the classroom, a future.

 

As a teacher, I will do all I can to provide a solid and sound education for the future generation. In Cambodia, I have the opportunity to use my expertise to help the poor children; to help create a new world where no one has to live on a dollar a day.  Few children have gone to school or received proper schooling. Education is the children's only chance, and Cambodia's future depends on it.

 

I welcome your thoughts and comments on my reflection above: how can I change things for the people in Cambodia who live on less than $1 or $2 a day?

 

2 comments:

RMV's Colleague said...

Thank for you kind heart for Cambodia.

Samphy said...

I guess you've heard of Phymean NOUN. I've been keepin in touch with her myself too. She got her funding mostly from Cambodian communities in countries like the US and others.

Well, I would recommend you do something similar, bong.